How to migrate customers from PayPal to Stripe
If you already have customers paying you via PayPal and you want to get their credit card details into Stripe, you can do that securely!
If you're using other payment gateways besides PayPal (e.g. Authorize.net, Braintree) you can follow the same process below, just contact their support instead of PayPal's.
- First you'll need to have a Stripe account and connect it with MemberSpace (see instructions).
- The PayPal account owner now needs to contact PayPal support and request they do a payment data transfer to Stripe. It can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks so the sooner you start the process the better. This data transfer will be securely migrating the credit card details over to Stripe (but not the billing history, billing cycles, or subscriptions).
- After you send the transfer request to PayPal, contact Stripe support to let them know.
- When the request is completed, your customers will now exist in your Stripe account and have their credit cards connected without having to re-enter them. Any subscriptions they were on in PayPal will NOT exist in Stripe yet.
- At this point you have two options:
You can manually add each of these PayPal customers to a Member Plan in MemberSpace. When you add them to a paid plan they will be charged right away (if there is no trial) and they will be on a new billing cycle if the plan is recurring. After you add them to the plan you can cancel their subscription in PayPal so they aren't double charged.
You can have our support team run an import of these PayPal customers so they are added to any Member Plan you want (scroll to 'Importing Members' here). Similar to Option 1 above, when you import a member onto a paid plan they will be charged right away (if there is no trial) and they will be on a new billing cycle if the plan is recurring. After you add them to the plan you can cancel their subscription in PayPal so they aren't double charged.