How keep member profile updates in sync with 3rd parties (via Zapier)
Let's say for example, you use an email marketing platform like Mailchimp to inform your members about updates and additional services though a monthly newsletter.
To add members to your list automatically after sign up, read our help guide here.
However, after members are added, it possible they will change certain account profile details within MemberSpace e.g. their name, their email, etc.
Ideally after a member updates their profile you'd like to automatically update your email list so the data is consistent and always up-to-date.
You can easily do that with an awesome tool called Zapier that allows you to send your member's data to over 1,000 other 3rd party services like Mailchimp, Trello, Google Sheets, Salesforce, etc.
Below are steps to start automatically keeping your member profile updates in sync. We'll be using Mailchimp in this example, but you could repurpose these steps for other 3rd party platforms.
- Go to your Zapier dashboard > click the + icon to create a Zap > search for MemberSpace:
- Select 'Updated Member Profile' > click 'Continue' > connect your MemberSpace account > choose your website > click 'Allow Access':Then click 'Continue':
- You'll then need to click 'Test trigger' to test the connection in Zapier to make sure a member is found (assuming you already have members):After the test runs, click 'Continue'.
- Now for the first Action step, search for Mailchimp > select 'Find a Subscriber' > click 'Continue':Connect your Mailchimp account and click 'Continue'.
- For the Search field click 'Show all options' at the bottom > then select 'Previous Email':Select your Audience > make sure 'False' is selected for 'Should this step be considered...' > click 'Continue': Previous Email is the email address your member had in their profile BEFORE their last profile update.
Keep in mind, when a member updates their profile it's very likely they don't change their email e.g. perhaps they just change the spelling of their last name. In these cases we still send the 'Previous Email' variable, but it will be identical to the 'Email' variable since the email address didn't change.
- Test your action to make sure things are working (assuming you've had a member update their profile in MemberSpace at some point).
- Now add another action by clicking the '+' icon at the bottom:
Then select the Filter:Then set the logic to what is shown below:This is saying that you only want the Zap to continue if the member is already a subscriber in Mailchimp.
You could alternatively set this up to only continue if the text does not contain 'Unsubscribed':
- Now click the '+' icon again to add our last action:Select Mailchimp again > choose 'Add/Update Subscriber' for the Action Event > click 'Continue':
- Choose your Mailchimp account again and click 'Continue'.
- Choose the same Audience as you selected in Step 5 > For 'Subscriber Email', select the 'Email' variable from MemberSpace > make sure 'Update Existing' is set to 'Yes':Feel free to update any other fields here (e.g. tags, groups, name, etc) by using variables from MemberSpace > click 'Continue':
- Test your latest action and then turn your Zap on.
That's it, you're all done! Now whenever a member of yours updates their profile (name, email, custom fields) this Zap will run and update whatever fields you set up in the Zap.