How to automatically add members to an email list (via Zapier)
If you want to add members to your email list in a GDPR-compliant way (i.e. after they opt in), please read this guide instead.
Let's say for example, you use an email marketing platform like Mailchimp to inform your members about updates and additional services though a monthly newsletter.
You probably want a way to add each new member sign up to an audience (i.e. list) in Mailchimp so you can later send them your monthly newsletter.
This is easy to do using an awesome tool called Zapier that allows you to send your member's data to over 1,000 other 3rd party services like Mailchimp, Trello, Google Sheets, Salesforce, etc.
Below are steps to start automatically adding members to your email list (without opt in). We'll be using Mailchimp in this example, but you could repurpose these steps for other email platforms like ConvertKit, Drip, ActiveCampaign, etc.
- Go to your Zapier dashboard > click the + icon to create a Zap > search for MemberSpace:
- Select 'New Membership' > click 'Continue' > connect your MemberSpace account > choose your website > click 'Allow Access':
Then click 'Continue':
Choose which Member Plans you want this Zap to apply for. We selected 'All Plans' in the example below, but you can choose just specific plans if you want. Then click 'Continue':
- You'll then need to click 'Test trigger' to test the connection in Zapier:
After the test runs, click 'Continue'.
- Move to the next step and search for Mailchimp > for the action event select 'Add/Update Subscriber' and then click 'Continue':
- Add your Mailchimp account and click 'Continue':
- Fill in the two required fields at the top:
You can choose to fill in any optional fields (e.g. Groups or Tags) if you want or just leave them blank.
If you have any other required fields within your Mailchimp audience (e.g. First Name) you'll need to fill those in as well and can use any member profile information such as their first name, last name, or custom sign up fields:
Then click 'Continue' at the bottom.
- Next click on 'Test & Continue' to run a test of what was set up. This will actually add the member to your email list. If you don't want that to happen, click 'Skip Test':
- Now turn your Zap on if you're ready for the entire workflow to start automatically running:
And you're done! Now whenever a member joins a plan on your website, this Zap will automatically add them to Mailchimp for you.