How to automatically add members to an email list (via Zapier)
If you want to add members to your email list in a GDPR-compliant way (i.e. after they opt in), please read this guide instead.
Lets say for example, you use an email marketing platform like Mailchimp to inform your members about updates and additional services you provide though a monthly newsletter.
You probably want a way to add each new member sign up to an audience (i.e. list) in MailChimp so you can later send them your monthly newsletter.
This is easy to do using an awesome tool called Zapier that allows you to send your member's data to over 1,000 other 3rd party services like MailChimp, Trello, Google Sheets, etc.
Below are the steps to start automatically adding your members to your email list (without opt in).
- Go to your Zapier dashboard and click the + icon in the left side menu to create a Zap:
- Add your MemberSpace account and select which connected website you want to use and click 'Allow Access':
Then click 'Continue':
- Choose which Member Plans you want this Zap to apply for. We selected 'All Plans' in the example below, but you can choose just specific plans if you wanted. Then click 'Continue':
- You'll then need click 'Test trigger' to test the connection in Zapier:
- After the test runs, click on 'Do this...' and search for Mailchimp:
- Under 'Choose Action Event'. You'll want to select 'Add/Update Subscriber' and then click 'Continue':
- Add your Mailchimp account and click 'Continue':
- Fill in the two required fields at the top:
You can choose to fill in any optional fields (e.g. Groups or Tags) if you want or just leave them blank.
If you have any other required fields within your Mailchimp audience (e.g. First Name) you'll need to fill those in as well and can use any member profile information such as their first name, last name, or custom sign up fields:
Then click 'Continue' at the bottom.
- After you click 'Continue' you can click on 'Test & Continue' to run a test of what was set up. This will actually add the member to your email list. If you don't want that to happen, click 'Skip Test':
- Then click 'Done Editing' and finally click "Turn Zap On' if you're ready for the entire workflow to start automatically running:
And you're done! Now whenever a member joins a plan on your website, the Zapier integration will automatically add them to Mailchimp for you.